Monday, January 20, 2014

"Remember the Alamo!"

As I mentioned in my 2014 Homeschool Goals post, I'm striving to get more art activities incorporated into our week. For this week, I did something quick and simple to go along with our study of the Alamo.


Before we get to the art project, I thought I'd share briefly what this week's lessons included.

A few of the books we read:
The Story of the Alamo by Peter F. Copeland
Susanna of the Alamo by John Jakes
Story of the World, Vol 3, Chpt 40 by Susan Wise Bauer
The Alamo by Tom McGowen
A Picture Book of Davy Crockett by David A. Adler

We also visited the Alamo via Google Maps street view! My kids always love doing this. (We've visited the Colosseum, Pyramids of Giza, the USS Constitution, and the Palace of Versailles among other places.) 

Now onto the art project. I decided on simple for this week and printed off the Texas state flag. Then I allowed the kids to fill it in using whatever medium they chose. Big Girl chose yarn, adhesive foam, Crayola Model Magic, and cotton balls. Big Boy opted for red, white, and blue finger paints.


And the finished products:



Any other ideas on incorporating art into history?

No comments:

Post a Comment