Saturday, March 8, 2014

Winter Olympics 2014

As mentioned in my previous post, we changed things up a bit for the Winter Olympics. We had a lot of sickness coursing through our household. Plus this is the time of year it seems to be when I hit my slump, so we all took a step back and did an easy lapbook while we watched the games!

Cover of Lapbook
Inside!

As I said we kept things insanely simple. This is NOT the normal level of lapbooking/notebooking I'd have Big Girl do, but even the kids occasionally need a break from their hefty workloads.

From top to bottom, left to right...
Olympic Motto: We wrote the Olympic motto in both Latin and English.

Olympic Mascots: We simply watched for the mascots to make an appearance, and once the kids found them and could tell me what they were, they glued a pic of the 3 of them inside the booklet.

Athlete Profile: The kids each chose an Olympic athlete, either from the USA or another country. Then they answered a few questions about them and tracked the medals they won. Big Girl chose Meryl Davis while Big Boy chose Kyle Tress.

Sochi/Russia Facts: Again, we answered a few questions about both the host city and country.

Russian Flag: Printed off and colored the host country's flag.

World Map: We looked up the location of Sochi and placed the 2014 Olympic logo on our world map.

Medals: We tracked all the medals the USA won throughout the Olympics.

 


Baby Boy got into the Olympics as well. Each morning he asked me, "watch games, please?" and was so disappointed if they weren't on yet. I made his work very simple since he is only 2yo. I printed off coloring pages I found here, hole punched them, and placed brads to make a coloring book. He could color anytime he wanted while we watched. Then, he and I worked together to trace the name of each sport.

Did you do anything special for the Olympic games? I'd love to hear your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment